Saturday, November 13, 2004

I'm Saying a Little Prayer

It's not easy having children whether it involves bearing them or raising them. I read Sylvia Plath's Bell Jar on the plane home during the start of the sem break. Instead of the usual effervescence and jubilation, Plath's description of childbirth was filled with rancor and brutality. Plath writes with unmatched precision but her only flaw was in her failure to see that the beauty of childbirth came from a mother's willingness to bear the discomfort, the pain and the burden all for the sake of an unborn child.

My tita texted me today that my cousin Cheryl is having pregnancy problems. She is about six months into the family way and is in danger of delivering her twins prematurely. I do not want her to lose her babies because I know how much she and her husband George want to be parents. They mean the world to her and I know she would do anything just so they could stay alive and be delivered normally.

My entire family and I are praying for Cheryl. As Romans 8:28 says "The Lord works for the good of those who love Him." He works for the good of all of us, most especially for Cheryl and George. But His reasons for the way He works may or may not be obvious. We can always bank on His promise of faithfulness and He always knows how to turn a tear into a smile, defeat into victory and grief into happiness.


Acknowledgement: Photos taken from the official website of Anne Geddes (annegeddes.com).

No comments: