Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Sleep Tight

I woke up rather late today. I reached over the bedside table to switch my phone off. The first message I received froze my yawn. Both my Tita Val and Tita Vilma texted me that my cousin Cheryl's baby boy George died.

George was born at just 26 weeks old to my cousin Cheryl and her husband George on December 2. His twin sister Cherlize was born on December 1 and weighed 1 lb. and 5 oz. George weighed 1 lb. and 8.9 oz. According to my cousin, they were critical but stable.

About two weeks later, Cheryl texted again that baby George's bowel was leaking so they had to do surgery to fix the problem. Again, we took everything up to God that he allow my newest nephew to survive.

However, this text contained sad news for us all. Apparently, the doctor tried to separate baby George's fingers because they were stuck together but he bled. It was difficult for us and I could just imagine how much more difficult it was for my cousin and her husband when I know they have always wanted children. I remember what my mom told me when we first received the news that Cheryl was having problems during her pregnancy. She surmised that some people try so hard to have children while others are so desperate to get rid of them that they either get aborted or are abandoned immediately after birth. Such a sad, sad situation this is.

To Cheryl and George...heaven is great at taking care of children. They will fully experience all of the beauty of life up there whereas we can only get a taste of it. We can only do so much for them but when God calls them home even after a brief stint on Earth, we have no other choice but to say "Go."

No comments: