Friday, February 1, 2008

Favorite Snapshots

What I love best about having a high-res camera on my phone is capturing anything which strikes my fancy almost anytime and in almost any place. I go through the pictures and go "Oh yeah, that was the day when..." Then everything starts rushing back to me like a kayak going "whoosh" down a river.

When I was a kid, the only fun thing with cameras was the snapping sound which came when the shutter button was pressed. Thank my best friend Sue for dragging me out of the house on one really hot summer day to take pictures. As we stood near the city capitol waiting for a jeep, a group of Aeta children started pulling at our T-shirts with their hands, asking for money. On our way home a little while later, I was astounded when all that Sue could mutter to herself was "I should have taken a picture of those children." It took me a while to understand her but now I do.

The camera lens has become a window between two captives.

My favorite captured moments of 2007, courtesy of my trusty camera phone and Grubby (click thumbnails for bigger versions):


I've always believed that no two
sunsets are the same. Each one
is always a sight to behold and nothing is
spared from basking in its glorious glow.
Taken May 1997 on my way home
one afternoon.



Aslan Marie on one of her naughty days.
She was given to us by my Tita Marie (hence
second name) as a Christmas gift.



"Salt of the earth, light of the world."
Table decorations during our class Christmas Party
last December (Maia's handiwork).


A place I'll always call home.
One of my favorite shots of my
sister and Aslan outside my
grandparents' house.



Dead pig walking.
My dad brought me to see the
2-month old pig(let) he was planning
to roast for lechon during the holidays.
The pig kept on poking her snout
at my leg and when I bent to take
her picture, she stayed still! Needless
to say, lunch the next day was an
unpleasant experience.



The most beautiful things come in
small packages.

A butterfly in the Mambukal Butterfly
Farm, Murcia, Negros Occidental.
Taken October 2007.



Don't let me get me.
A little boy in the airport
who sat a few meters away from
me. He was actually enamored with
the airplane outside.



Eye see you.
Although this picture leaves
much to be desired, I never thought I'd
get this close to a dragonfly but
I did! Taken near the boating
lagoon in Mambukal.



Never too far.
Two herons looking for food on
one really hot day.



Natural little gymnast.
A little sparow tries to do some
scratching while perched
on an electric wire.



Lora thought it would be fun to sneak
into the prisoners' holding area in the
Quezon City RTC. Taken September
2007 during a visit to the RTC for our
Criminal Procedure paper.



Who you calling old?
That's my 82-year old gramps hoisting
a chair on his back while he limps along.
His shorter leg is practically metal.

No comments: