Friday, January 7, 2011

2010 in a Nutshell

1.  What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
a. Drafted a real pleading, affixed my signature on it and filed the uber thick thing (all 40+ pages of it) in court;

b. Represented a client in court, officially entered my appearance in my first court hearing and argued with a real lawyer;

Just one really scary day which made me want to vomit.
c. Voted in the Philippines' first automated elections;


d. Got up close and personal with a tiger cub by stuffing a feeding bottle down its cute little throat;

Can I bring you home?


e. Went on a zip line;

Great view from here!

f.  Dyed my hair blue-black which left my hair looking…just plain black-black;


g. Stood less than 10 meters away from where a bomb exploded during the Salubong in September.


2. Did you keep your new years's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I didn't exactly keep all my new years' resolutions but I did fulfill most of them.  :)  So I should carry them over to this year and I am definitely making more for 2011.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Jodi gave birth to my niece Emily Capito Medeiros.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I lost my grandfather to a lingering illness in May of this year. 
With my sister and nieces before laying Lolo to rest.
We will see you again, Lolo.
Our church's senior pastor Dr. Luis Pantoja also passed away in September.
And though our only connection remains to be Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger's death was also quite depressing.


5. What countries did you visit in 2010?
First time in Macau and second time in Hong Kong

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Understanding as wide as the expanse and as deep as the bottom of the ocean

7. What date from 2010 will remain etched in your memory and why?
15 May 2010.  That night my grandfather was intubated.  Everything happened so fast (and without warning) that I couldn't comprehend what was happening.  It was just one very horrible memory that I still cannot shake off no matter what I do.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving my first hearing without making a complete fool of myself or getting a scolding from the judge.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I can't think of anything in 2010.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Afflicted with chickenpox in early September because I'm such a loser who gets it at age 27.  Good thing the early doses of Acyclovir pre-empted the welts from going full-blown and all I got was a mild case.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPod Classic!  I think I'll manage to fill up all 160 GB of it when I turn 40.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Raissa Laurel.  That girl is pure inspiration.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Philippine Supreme Court.  Since when did plagiarism require "intent?"

14. Where did most of your money go?
Photocopies, gas, food, chocolate milk and in the latter part of the year, apple pie tea lattes.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Attending my high school reunion!  It was great to be back in the best high school in the galaxy after ten years.
Batch Y2K is home!
 
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2010?
a. King of Anything by Sara Bareilles
b. You Make My Dreams by Hall and Oates because it was my year-long ringtone
c. That Baby, Baby song by Justin Bieber.  That song drives me completely nuts and it doesn't help that my nieces sing it all the time.  If my ears could bleed, they'd be hemorrhaging intensely.
e. Far East Movement's Fly Like a G6.  Still working on the crypt walk!  Yo!


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? -- Sadder. :( But I'm keeping my chin up.  It's gonna get better.
ii. thinner or fatter? -- Ha! Same, I guess...still fatty. :D
iii. richer or poorer? -- Richer! YES! :)

18. What do you wish you'd done more?
Write for fun.   I seem to have lost the drive to do so.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Play Plants vs. Zombies instead of reading. :)  Great thing I have now been successful in restraining myself.

I love, love, LOVE this game. :)
20. What was your favorite TV program?
Glee! :) Even if I didn't catch the regular programming and had to settle with season marathons, that was more than fine.  Always something to look out for in every episode, especially Artie. :)


21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No…not really.  Just disappointed, I guess.

22. What was the best book you read?
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.  Ever since Wuthering Heights, I've never read a book so beautifully written.


23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That singing the Hallelujah Chorus in alto was actually something "conquerable," especially the early barrage of "hallelujahs" which come one after another.
Amy Winehouse was a belated discovery.  I admit the tattoos, the drug issues and the scary hair put me off from listening to her for years but when I finally did, I stumbled upon a goldmine.  Runners-up are Lady Antebellum, Arcade Fire and Leona Lewis.


24. What did you want and get?
a. Elusive three-inch red heels in patent leather for less than P1,000 (it came in a half-size for that perfect fit);
b. Finding the ultimate swimming/snorkeling companion in Madison, my Canon D10;
c. A portable hard drive in red!


25. What was your favorite film of this year?
Avatar, hands down!

26. What was the worst film you saw this year?
That Kim Chiu - Gerald Anderson starrer.  Wasn't that bad but it was not as good as the other ones I saw.

27. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
On my 27th birthday, I was singing "Jesus Take the Wheel" (one of my favorite songs) with Harvest (among my favorite bunch of people) for the ultimate audience, my Lord and Saviour.


Backstage before we headed out to sing.


28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I wish I made it to my cousin Darryll's wedding in Texas.  That would have really made my year!  And, sometime in the middle of 2010, I wish I took an offer to run under the rain.

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Preppy with lots of button-downs, skirts and heels. :D Asenso...heels! :)

30. What kept you sane?
A lot of praying and reading the Bible…spending time with friends who made me smile…and, of course, Plants vs. Zombies or Burger Shop.

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Richard Poon and his cute eyes, Romola Garai and her endearing portrayal of Emma, Jonny Lee Miller and his killer dialogue as Mr. Knightley and after downloading Last of the Mohicans, went gaga over Eric Schweig all over again.  Oh...and Rum Tum Tugger (John O'Hara) was one rockin' cat.





32. What political issue stirred you the most?
The plagiarism issue and the show-cause order for the UP Law professors.

33. Who did you miss?
My Lolo, especially during Christmas and New Year's Eve.  Will most likely have the same answer next year.

34. Who was the best new person you met?
Atty. Oposa.  How many professors you know make you plant something at the beginning of the school year with the intention of harvesting the fruits by the end of the semester? 

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Say what you need to say and show love when you can.  Love is never forced, it is always spontaneous.  When the time comes to say goodbye, the ones who are gone are no longer concerned with the trappings of the physical world.  It is us, those who are left behind, who will have to deal with the "what ifs" and the "if only."
And, a little something from the law school dean - to do the right thing for its own sake and not your own.  It is not about you.


36. What was the nicest thing someone told you about yourself?
My mom, to me, when I told her I had always known as I was weird but was quite glad about it: "You're not weird.  You're just different."  Of course, she's my mother. :D

37. The most touching experience you had this year.
Lolo was already intubated so he couldn't talk at all and only communicated via sign language or by writing.  My parents were trying to keep him amused despite the situation and it was not difficult to lift his spirits.  Mom started teasing me to one of the medical residents in charge to monitor his situation and asked my Lolo to do the proper, archaic introduction.  He wrote this on his clipboard: "I would like to introduce you with bursting pride to my granddaughter" and he appended the legal title (which I am still working on) to my name.  Then when the resident turned around to leave, he raised his fist at the resident's back right on cue then smiled at me.

38. What did you like most about yourself this year?
Being quite strong, especially for my mother and my grandmother when we lost my grandfather in the middle of the year.  Keeping my tongue in check and refusing to retaliate even when I have every reason to validly do so was very difficult to do but it was something I could - and had to - do.

39. What did you hate about yourself this year?
Asking a lot of "whys" when I knew the reason behind them…and wishing for some things when my hands were full and obviously could not take anymore load.  On hindsight, all the "whys" seemed really stupid, selfish and whiny.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Jumpstart my kaleidoscope heart
Love to watch the colors fade
They make not make sense
But they sure…made me."
- Uncharted by Sara Bareilles


41. Was 2010 a good year for you?
No, 2010 was not a good year.  But it's in such times when you realize you can still find many reasons to smile.

42. What was your favorite moment of the year?
Snorkeling with my 81-year old grandmother in Balicasag Island, Bohol.  She kept on telling us that we were all going to drown and was perplexed that the guide gave her a pack of bread.  "What am I going to do with this?" she wondered aloud.  "I am not eating this."  I told her it was for the fish.  "Aaaaah," she responded then went back to being the harbinger of doom by telling us once again that we were all going to drown.

My gwamma getting swamped by fishies.

43. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
May 15-25, 2010.  Those ten days were the toughest of my life.  Watching someone slowly slip away from you is torture enough.  Feeling absolutely helpless to ease his suffering was even more difficult.

44. Where were you when 2010 began?
In Taguhangin, Ajuy, Iloilo.

45. Who were you with?
With my parents, sister and grandparents.

46. Where will you be when 2010 ends?
Still in Ajuy, Iloilo.

47. Who will you be with when 2010 ends?
With my parents, sister and grandmother.

48. Do you have new year's resolution for 2011?
To keep my focus and eyes on the goal, to remain steadfast and strong, to work so hard I can feel my heart pounding inside my chest, to never lose faith, to carry on the good fight and to make it to the finish line with a heart full of thankfulness and hope.

49. What was your favorite month of 2010?
June.  That month was a period of major adjustment but that was also when I felt the love and support from friends and family.  Thank you so much!

50. What was your favorite record from 2010?
Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart
Glee soundtracks 

Alicia Keys - Element of Freedom
Noel Cabangon - Byahe

51. How many concerts did you see in 2010?
Watched Cats in July and it was spellbinding and jawdropping.
 


Saw the Gin Blossoms concert!  It was like being 11 years old all over again!


52. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2010?
No.  Ha!  I should scrap this question in next year's survey.

53. Do a lot of drugs in 2010?
Last time you're going to see this question in this survey.
And the answer is no.


54. You do anything you are ashamed of this year?
As always, yes. :)

55. How much money did you spend in 2010?
A lot!  Haha!

56. What was your proudest moment in 2010?
My sister graduating from law school.  I watched her hurdle each day with mounting courage and unparalleled perseverance and to see her finally get that Bachelor of Laws degree was a promise fulfilled.


57. What was your most embarrassing moment of 2010?
I'm too embarrassed I don't even want to talk about it.  To put it simply in keywords: "Corpo class," "Ramon Fernandez," and "El Presidente."  Prof. Jacinto had one good laugh and I wanted the earth to swallow me whole.

58. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2010 and change something, what would it be?
None really. :)

59. What are your plans for 2011?
Work really hard, pray harder and just keep myself sane.  This year is really going to be epic.  Really.

60. How are you different now that the year has ended?
This year has been a major rollercoaster and I can say I've emerged more independent and more at peace with myself.  I have come to know a lot of people better, even those I have known for almost my entire life.  It is important to always keep a good measure of understanding and to really think not once, not twice but a million times before doing or saying anything. 

61. What are your wishes for the new year?
I'm wishing for peace of mind for me and for my family.  All of us have our own battles to fight and to finish.  Inasmuch as one wants to win every battle he finds himself in, a person often misses the key element in pursuing victory: the cause for which he is fighting for.  This year, I wish for a courageous spirit, a forgiving and loving heart, a sincere soul and a discerning mind.

No comments: